learn / 2016
MINDSET RESET: Shifting School Culture - Coaching Educators In Mindful Instruction and Practice
Are any other organizations collaborating on this proposal?
Please describe your project proposal.
A 10 month Pilot of coaching services in 3 LA schools to connect educators with effective instruction, mindful learning, and a more dynamic school culture based on existing vision. Schools start where they are in implementation of best practice and mindful learning and collaborate with Pedagogics to refine strategies and explore tools that address challenges and issues unique to each site. Ongoing learning and development is facilitated by a PLN to shift education towards a more mindful LA.
Which of the learn metrics will your proposal impact?
- Student education pipeline
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- County of Los Angeles
Describe in greater detail how your proposal will make LA the best place to learn?
“Are we preparing kids minds for a life of tests or the test of life?” Arthur L. Costa
Pedagogics Coaching Group can help make LA the best place to learn through dynamic one to one support, and hands-on classroom work in LA Schools. We want to work with schools; within their vision and with what resources they have available. Our focus is to improve the effectiveness of instruction and grow the school culture with ongoing individualized coaching and mindful learning for the “Whole Educator.” For the pilot, 3 schools will have a choice between three best practice topics: Powerful Formative Assessment, Instruction in a Mixed Ability Classroom, and Habits of Mind for Developing a Mindful School Culture.
There are 3 ways in which we will implement our pilot:
1) By supporting shifts in professional practice to reset the existing mindset in the elementary school setting by guiding and supporting administrators, teachers, and instructional support staff in several ways including: non-evaluative observation and planning with the staff; engagement in professional learning to ensure a common understanding of the agreed upon process and to deepen the understanding of the topic; in-class support to model, co-teach, and mentor the shift in practice; a debrief at the end of each day to engage teachers in metacognitive practice leading to growth and change. This is a 2 week cycle lasting for a total of 6 weeks.
2) We create ample opportunity for continued access, understanding, and growth by providing our schools with a gamified platform that encourages self-driven eLearning and professional Learning Networking opportunities with our partner Vignettes Learning. Access to the Path to Expertise site provides educators with webinars; access to peer reviewed research, articles, white papers; and blogs within the greater educational community. It also provides an interactive professional learning community/network of educators where points can be gained for each learning step, sources can be tagged favorite/like, and any information, learning, and insights can be shared. In addition, educators will be engaged in a system that includes to both monitoring and updating of goals, and goal achievement as related to a rubric of implementation.
3) We want to garner an opportunity for extending learning through online university credit coursework focused on Mindful Learning, Formative Assessment, and Meeting the Needs of a Mixed Ability Classroom. This coursework will provide teachers with an opportunity to earn credit/ salary points for the work they are doing within the pilot and on the Path to Expertise platform.
The pilot will be supported by action research to determine its effectiveness, personal and professional impact on educators, and the impact on school culture.
In 2050, LA is known as the tipping point of dynamic mindful learning and instruction across the global education community!
Please explain how you will define and measure success for your project.
Success is defined by growth in the areas of building reflective practitioners, making progress on school-wide instructional practices, and building mindful school cultures. Using action research, we will investigate the effectiveness of our model of support and process for improvement. The documentation and data for the pilots effectiveness, regarding the learning community’s positive shift in its practice and/or development of its professional capacity, will consist of: quantitative data; net promoter score surveys, teacher and coach monitoring using the Pedagogics rubric for the Stages of Integration, Path 2 Expertise metrics; and qualitative data; recorded interviews, educator reflection, and coach generated anecdotal notes and informal assessment. We will evaluate the qualitative data using the data source triangulation method then use it to validate the quantitative data to generate results. A successful pilot will result in positive change in both quantitative and qualitative data. We anticipate seeing an increase in implementation of instructional skills and strategies (rubric, anecdotal notes), a positive change in the overall mindset of educators (surveys), a shift to a more mindful school culture (interviews, reflection), educators engaged in seeking more information and interacting with the Pedagogics community (Path 2 Expertise metrics), and the achievement of personal goals. Overall effectiveness of our pilot will result in a positive net promoter score.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Advisors/board members
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles etc.)
- Network/relationship support
- Quality improvement research
- Social Media Strategies