connect / 2016
Are any other organizations collaborating on this proposal?
Collaboration takes place between KCSN and KPFK Radio and Able ARTS Work. The KCSN program producer, Jolie Mason, is also sight-impaired and is a strong advocate of using technology to overcome difficulties imposed by disabilities. This project will also provide the necessary training for our clients using the broadcast technology needed for the radio program. ARTBEAT RADIO is created and produced at the Able ARTS Work location and the podcast is available locally, nationally and internationally
Please describe your project proposal.
Following 35 years of progress towards inclusion and access for people with intellectual disabilities, Able ARTS Work launched Artbeat Radio, an innovative community project presented through the lens of disability culture. As engagement has increased and content producers are demanding more access to share their voices, Artbeat Radio is prepared to go mobile.
Which of the connect metrics will your proposal impact?
- Social & emotional support
- Cultural events
- Public/open streets gatherings
- Government responsiveness to residents’ needs
- Total number of local social media friends and connections Angelenos have
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- South Bay
- County of Los Angeles
Describe in greater detail how your proposal will make LA the best place to connect?
Following 35 years of progress towards inclusion and access for people with intellectual disabilities, Able ARTS Work launched Artbeat Radio, an innovative community project presented through the lens of disability culture. As engagement has increased and content producers are demanding more access to share their voices, Artbeat Radio is prepared to go mobile. Programming has been hosted and produced by adults with intellectual disabilities since 2013, introducing communities to a population historically sidelined from society.
- Build new or enhance existing organizational capacity? Able ARTS Work aims to continue our role as disability culture advocates by delivering relevant, stimulating and meaningful content after 35 years through the creative arts. We seek to continue this work by expanding an existing program to address the evolving creative goals of the resident artists who receive our services. In doing so, we will continue our role as community leaders in the disability and arts community.
- Engage residents and stakeholders Our plan is to add the mobile element to a traditionally structured radio program. Our mobile recording studio will travel to a variety of community spaces, delivering “on the scene” coverage, providing resident artists and the general population an opportunity to engage with Artbeat Radio personalities, creative projects and contribute to themes addressed. Participants will therefore actively make connections throughout diverse Los Angeles communities, revealing shared cultural, socio-economic and creative voices represented in disability culture. Including the voices of a general population is relevant and crucial to our advocacy work in presenting inclusive opportunities for people with and without disabilities.
- Expand a program Expanding Artbeat Radio from a traditional radio program to a mobile program available to the community at large will bring participants increased opportunities to share their voices, make connections and actively participate in changing perceptions on disability. Expanding the program will include the addition of community collaborative concerts, interviews and expressive arts therapy podcasts to an already successful music podcast program. Those participating in the Artbeat Radio project will have the opportunity to share their contributions through social media, which will be further enhanced by broadcasting segments with our partners on KPFK 90.7 FM and KCSN 88.5 FM
- How to Develop a communication or marketing strategy In partnership with KPFK 90.7 and KCSN 88.5, Able ARTS Work will implement a comprehensive communications and marketing strategy targeting the disability, art, music, clinical arts therapy and education communities in the South Bay and other targeted Los Angeles neighborhoods. Through social media and leveraging partnerships with ACLB and the LACAC, a communications plan will include the sharing of strategic information to build engagement.
Please explain how you will define and measure success for your project.
Our goal is to provide meaningful opportunities for people with and without disabilities to engage through the arts. Our measures of success: 1.) Resident artists with intellectual disabilities attending Able ARTS Work will have increased opportunities to create, host and produce Artbeat Radio content in various communities. 2.) The Artbeat Radio audience will grow through social media engagement, podcast subscriptions. 3.) Growing interest in providing inclusive opportunities at events, organizations, corporations, and institutions, as evidenced through connections we can make with community stakeholders.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Advisors/board members
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support