live / 2015
Watts Rain Gardens
The Watts Rain Gardens project is a multi-benefit environmental and revitalization project that will create 10000 sq ft of pervious surface that will not only capture stormwater before it enters the ocean and provide much needed tree shade, but will create beautiful green parkways in Watts.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- South LA
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Mobilize for systems change
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Exposure to air toxins
- Percent of imported water
- Walk/bike/transit score
- Acres and miles of polluted waterways
- Percentage of tree canopy cover (Dream Metric)
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
Socially, we believe that removing blight cause by neglected parkways and subsequently revitalizing them through greening will essentially pave the way for more change in the neighborhood. Baseline surveys will be conducted with residents who live directly adjacent and students who utilizes sidewalks and walkways. Surveys will capture attitudes towards the built environment in their neighborhood and feelings around current conditions of the blighted parkways. From an environmental perspective, FLTS is committed to ensure our projects not only look good, but make an actual impact in the community. From an environmental perspective, we take baseline assessments of existing conditions. For this project we will measure tree shade, gallons of storm water runoff and flora and fauna conditions. Post construction, we will measure sq. ft. of shade canopy created, number of stormwater captured and numbers of new insect and animal species.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Network/relationship support