live / 2015
Veterans Gardens LA
What if homeless veterans were the solution, not the problem? What if we helped the most capable homeless veterans become leaders with a mission to leave no one else behind, in exchange for accelerating their ability to earn, to save, and to purchase a home. Like a homelessness peace corps.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- County of Los Angeles
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Access to healthy food
- Exposure to air toxins
- Number of households below the self-sufficiency index
- Housing affordability
- Rates of homelessness
- Percentage of LA communities that are resilient (Dream Metric)
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We have developed a checklist of markers that demonstrate each veteran’s progress toward self-sufficiency and home ownership. The ultimate measure of the success of this program is that four veterans will purchase starter housing under the terms of an agreement that will preserve each property from cost increases by the end of the pilot program.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support
- Quality improvement research