live / 2015
The Edible Apartment
We will oversee the creation of 15 new Edible Apartments around the city of Los Angeles. We will meet with building owners and residents to do a needs assessment; determine land and resource availability and, from those findings, create a site-specific design for each site location. This network of Edible Apartments will provide access to healthy eating and community for those who do not live in a single family residence, but still want to take ownership of their health and community.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- City of Los Angeles
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
- Implement and track policy
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Access to healthy food
- Exposure to air toxins
- Number of households below the self-sufficiency index
- Obesity rates
- Rates of mental illness
- Prevalence of adverse childhood experiences (Dream Metric)
- Percentage of LA communities that are resilient (Dream Metric)
- Percentage of tree canopy cover (Dream Metric)
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
I have already evaluated my work with my pilot project here in Mid-City Los Angeles. It is thriving and the residents, community and apartment building owner are all thrilled with the outcome. They are calling me the Mensch of Miracle Mile (that means good person).
I will evaluate future Edible Apartments with photo documentation from start to finish and interviews of residents; property owners and managers; and community members.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support