live / 2015
The Alternative Travel Project
We're here to be of service to Los Angeles' public transit systems, and to start a dialogue about what we can all do to help create safer & more accessible alternative transit. We genuinely believe support for car-free transportation infrastructure will create a better Los Angeles. Through our efforts we aim to increase public usage of ATP infrastructure & we will work with lawmakers to create a more expansive & even safer system.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- County of Los Angeles
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Mobilize for systems change
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
- Implement and track policy
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Exposure to air toxins
- Obesity rates
- Walk/bike/transit score
- Prevalence of adverse childhood experiences (Dream Metric)
- Percentage of LA communities that are resilient (Dream Metric)
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
An ATP App would do a majority of the work of self-evaluation. It would serve a few functions; however the ones that would most specifically assess whether ATP is making progress would be:
A community forum (much like WAZE) that would give commuters a chance to highlight problematic spots (unsafe bike routes & hours, lack of connective infrastructure, etc.). We would compile the information & share it with developers & lawmakers in an effort to improve infrastructure.
We would compare shifts in the number of ATP commuters on specific paths to changes in safety & business revenue on ATP thoroughfares. ATP believes there is a positive, direct correlation between ATP infrastructure & community safety and business profit. We would like to arm lawmakers with the statistics that would enable them to work towards a safe and welcoming alternative travel infrastructure for every Angeleno to use.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support
- Quality improvement research