live / 2015
Sustainable Future LA
We propose to develop and implement a sustainability curriculum targeted to elementary school students. The fun and engaging educational content and related activities will provide a broad overview of sustainability, and emphasize how everyone is connected and how personal actions can have global effects. Our objective is to personalize climate change, and help develop an aware generation with the skill set to make and advocate for environmentally friendly choices.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- Central LA
- East LA
- San Gabriel Valley
- San Fernando Valley
- South LA
- South Bay
- Antelope Valley
- County of Los Angeles
- City of Los Angeles
- Initial pilot program at 3 elementary schools
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
- Implement and track policy
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Access to healthy food
- Exposure to air toxins
- Percent of imported water
- Walk/bike/transit score
- Acres and miles of polluted waterways
- Percentage of LA communities that are resilient (Dream Metric)
- Percentage of tree canopy cover (Dream Metric)
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
- Survey pilot schools to determine their bike/walk/transit scores before and after delivery of the curriculum.
- Track the number of trees planted through the program, and project tree canopy coverage at maturity.
- Assess students’ knowledge about sustainability issues at the beginning and end of the curriculum.
- Engage and track numbers of family and community members involved in curriculum supported activities.
- Track the number of schools willing to participate in the initial and subsequent phases of the pilot.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support
- Quality improvement research