live / 2015
SoLA Food Co-op a source for healthy food and community empowerment in South LA
SoLA seeks to provide better access to natural, organic and non GMO foods in South LA in the form of a full service grocery cooperative. We envision our store as a place not only for shopping but for learning , in cooking and nutrition classes, and for the community to gather, share prepared foods, fresh juices, and organic coffee. We feel that in an area long overlooked, with too few grocery stores, that is a food desert, a health foods cooperative is a brilliant solution.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- South LA
- In the Leimert Park area
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
- We will use the resources to reach more prospective members, create corporate sponsorships for needy families to become members, to work with co-op development consultants, and to retain development personnel.
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Access to healthy food
- Obesity rates
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We’ll evaluate our work through new memberships attained, growing our community of supporters, and by being closer to our goal of opening a food co-op. Additionally, we will track awareness of our project in the community through actions outlined in our business plan: surveys conducted at community workshops, follow-ups to our feasibility study(surveys), implementing a successful crowdfunding campaign, and engaging Cooperative Development Services. There will be evidence of our growth through hiring a qualified Bookkeeper and Project Manager to implement our growth strategy. With this personnel in place we will grow and achieve our goals sooner
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach