connect / 2015
My Bucket List LA
My Bucketlist LA Recipe: Serving the city + Learning the city + Connecting to the people of the city. Now repeat [you’ll have too much fun not to]. My Bucketlist LA uses an interactive platform/map interface in order for targeted audieinces (e.g., new residents, college students, community leaders (neighborhood council members)) to easily navigate and connect with each other through curated community and cultural events focused around volunteerism, play/fun, and food.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- City of Los Angeles
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
How will your proposal improve the following “Connect” metrics?
- Rates of volunteerism
- Attendance at cultural events
- Number of public transit riders
- Participation in neighborhood councils
- Percentage of Angelenos that volunteer informally (Dream Metric)
- Total number of local social media friends and connections (Dream Metric)
- Attendance at public/open streets gatherings (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to connect.
LA is one of the most diverse cities in the world with over 40 languages spoken. Many communities, however, remain somewhat isolated, either in what is culturally familiar to them, what is accessible to them in terms of transportation, or based on any number of demographic factors. Our vision is to partner with neighborhood councils, local organizations, local colleges, and corporate human resources departments, to connect people to everything that is Los Angeles. We want people to experience the texture and various aspects of the city so that they can have a deeper connection, to walk away from these events having learned something new and calling LA “my city.” My Bucket List LA will incorporate volunteerism, local restaurants, events, and cultural/historical activities, while facilitating social connection across professional, racial, ethnic, and socio-economic lines. We will tap into the existing cultural richness and natural diversity of our city to help expand participants’ overall experience as Angelenos. We believe the structure of these events would provide exposure to social issues, more awareness and understanding of those issues, and further civic engagement.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We plan to evaluate with feedback from participating individuals and organizations. Surveys and feedback will provide us with concrete information to improve our programs and ways to move forward with growth.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support
- Quality improvement research