play / 2015
Music School for Blind Children
We've recently opened a larger location in Los Angeles because there are so many blind students looking for a place to learn to become musicians. We need money to help with student tuition, musical instruments and teacher salary. The students also want to start dancing! So, we're trying to purchase shoes & clothes for them.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- San Fernando Valley
- County of Los Angeles
- The Learning Center (TLC) In Reseda, CA
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Cover costs of musical instruments, student tuition and Braille machines
How will your proposal improve the following “Play” metrics?
- Number of children enrolled in afterschool programs
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to play.
The students from AMB will be performing at many events around LA bringing awareness to the blind community and opening hearts. We’re already packing houses in Santa Monica and most recently at summer music festivals.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We’re able to see a difference immediately at AMB. We now have 6 new students who are already thriving and playing solos on guitar & piano. Maybe blind children are shy and reserved and afraid to be extroverted. Within 3 weeks of coming to AMB, they’re singing their hearts out, doing new choreography and asking their parents for their own instruments. We also have students who, because of their musical talent, have gone on to play in public and even sing at National baseball games! You can see so many videos on youtube of the joy they’re bringing to LA!
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support
- Quality improvement research