live / 2015
Maternal Mental Health NOW
The overall goal of our project is to improve recognition and response to perinatal mood and anxiety disorders in medical settings in the safety net. We will do this by implementing a model of collaborative perinatal mental health care in 3 FQHCs, evaluating its effectiveness and creating a best practice guide. We will address other barriers to identification and treatment of perinatal mood and anxiety disorders by facilitating stigma-reduction workshops in the communities surrounding the sites.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- County of Los Angeles
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Mobilize for systems change
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Healthcare access
- Rates of mental illness
- Prevalence of adverse childhood experiences (Dream Metric)
- Percentage of LA communities that are resilient (Dream Metric)
- Percentage of residents receiving coordinated healthcare services (Dream Metric)
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
Following recommendations of the AIMS Center at the University of Washington, we will work with each medical site to track the following processes and outcomes in order to evaluate our work:
• Number and proportion of patients in treatment for at least 10 weeks with significant clinical improvement • Total number of patients discharged • Total number of patients active • Proportion of active patients receiving any kind of follow-up during the past month • Average number of contacts since treatment started • Average length of time in treatment • Proportion of patients in treatment who have been reviewed by a psychiatric consultant who has made recommendations to the primary care-based treating medical/behavioral health providers • Proportion of patients in treatment for at least 10 weeks who are not improved and who have not been reviewed with the psychiatric specialist.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support
- Quality improvement research