live / 2015
Making California Friendly Plants Mainstream to Drought Proof Southern California
This transformative public education campaign will make California friendly plants hotter than pokemon circa 1995. How? We're going to take existing water community efforts to the next level with pioneering data science and unleash some cool new creative videos and books to convert the best change-makers: kids.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- Across the Southern California region
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Mobilize for systems change
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Exposure to air toxins
- Percent of imported water
- Acres and miles of polluted waterways
- Percentage of LA communities that are resilient (Dream Metric)
- Percentage of tree canopy cover (Dream Metric)
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
Number of households converted to California friendly landscaping. Our target with this hundred thousand dollars: 1,000,000 households with California friendly landscaping across Southern California. We’re working closely with academic researchers using NAIP satellite imagery to study the diffusion of California friendly plants and will use the results of that study to help evaluate how many Californians this campaign converts to new landscaping. In addition, for a separate yet synergistic project we’re working on pioneering a voluntary, bottom-up effort to put the entire lifecycle of California’s water usage data in a centralized platform. That database will enable us to ask at a granular level the actual water savings of shifting to California friendly plants and target areas for future landscape maintenance education.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Network/relationship support