connect / 2015
Localized Mobile News App Connecting You to Your Community
We are the Waze for neighborhood news and events! Using geo-location data from local news sources (of your choosing), our app will plot the stories that matter to you, in real-time, on an interactive map that both engages and informs. Gone are the days of information overload and irrelevant articles... it's time to view the news like never before!
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- City of Los Angeles
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Mobilize for systems change
How will your proposal improve the following “Connect” metrics?
- Rates of volunteerism
- Voting rates by race
- Adults getting sufficient social & emotional support
- Attendance at cultural events
- Participation in neighborhood councils
- Percentage of Angelenos that volunteer informally (Dream Metric)
- Government responsiveness to residents’ needs (Dream Metric)
- Total number of local social media friends and connections (Dream Metric)
- Attendance at public/open streets gatherings (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to connect.
Our app will increase civic engagement by making local information more accessible, relevant and helpful than ever before.
Our location-centric based approach ensures the users only receive information that’s relevant to them. This is our competitive advantage. Our app will build upon previous innovations throughout our city to make LA the best place to connect!
The app leverages the latest technology and advances, including:
- Open data sourcing
- GIS (Geographic Information Systems)
- Mobile technology
Users will have the power of their city’s data in the palm of their hand… through a simple, clean, fresh interface. Even more importantly, it will provide a comprehensible, yet digestible way to take in locally based information in a way that leads to community action and involvement.
With primary goals of
- increasing voter turnout
- increasing volunteerism
- increasing attendance at cultural events
- increasing participation in neighborhood councils
The technology used by this app, gives the city access to new levels of granularity, unlike ever before.
Location technology give us the competitive advanced to bring the information age into our communities, to engage our city councils to address issues that matter to our communities.
Our App will pull data from several key sources, plot them on an interactive map based on location, and color code them by category. The following data streams have been identified for possible consideration.
- Voting Policies/Information – issues on the ballot – neighborhoods impacted – where to vote
- Location/Times of City Council Meetings
- 411 Safety Alerts
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Cultural Events
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
Our work will be evaluated based on four criteria:
- Overall simplicity and efficiency of design
- Performance and mobilization of our app
- Measurement of utilization by users (through monitoring of servers & data)
- Practical user turnout and involvement in local events
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support
- Quality improvement research