play / 2015
LACT - Los Angeles Community Theatre
Use existing parks and venues, like Ramona Hall in Sycamore Grove Park, to create a community theatre program for all ages. Develop new works by Los Angeles artists, inspired by the diversity in our city. Educate the next generation of artists, and inspire the next generation of audiences.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- City of Los Angeles
- Highland Park
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Expand a pilot or a program
How will your proposal improve the following “Play” metrics?
- Access to open space and park facilities
- Number of children enrolled in afterschool programs
- Residents within 1⁄4 mile of a park (Dream Metric)
- Number of residents with easy access to a “vibrant” park (Dream Metric)
- Number of parks with intergenerational play opportunities (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to play.
We are a group of professional Los Angeles artists, writers, actors and directors who earn our living in live theater. We want to utilize existing theatrical venues like Ramona Hall in Sycamore Grove Park, turning it into a professional training ground for Angelenos.
LACT will have programs for all age ranges. We will welcome anyone wanting to experience the excitement of performing plays that have been written for them, about them and by them.
LACT will help break down the barriers between cultural communities. Highland Park is a perfect example of the diversity within the Los Angeles. It is that very diversity that will inspire our new theatrical works. Because our works will be created within the community, they will inspire the next generation of theater lovers.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
LACT will have a Board of Directors that meets monthly to evaluate the progress of the company.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support