connect / 2015
LA Outside The Box
Idea submitted in the My LA2050 Maker Challenge by RRM Design Group and Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative
Outside The Box creates temporary pop-up plazas at Los Angeles library parking lots and other outside spaces, to celebrate community by gathering together for fun, entertainment, education, and sharing culture, food, and music. LA's new public space! Pop-up plazas at 10 libraries.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- Central LA
- East LA
- San Gabriel Valley
- San Fernando Valley
- South LA
- South Bay
- Antelope Valley
- City of Los Angeles
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Expand a pilot or a program
How will your proposal improve the following “Connect” metrics?
- Rates of volunteerism
- Adults getting sufficient social & emotional support
- Attendance at cultural events
- Number of public transit riders
- Participation in neighborhood councils
- Percentage of Angelenos that volunteer informally (Dream Metric)
- Government responsiveness to residents’ needs (Dream Metric)
- Total number of local social media friends and connections (Dream Metric)
- Attendance at public/open streets gatherings (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to connect.
Outside The Box reimagines library facilities as civic space and creates a setting for communities to gather, learn, live, celebrate and enjoy the wonderful assets we have in these important institutions. Libraries need to re-position themselves to better serve communities and re-establish their true importance in our society. Activating libraries with more social events improves our social bond, facilitates lifelong learning and builds understanding of diverse cultures living in Los Angeles.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
- Outreach to library staff and community
- Social media comments
- Successful deployment of at least 10 re-usable Pop-up-Plazas at Los Angeles Libraries
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support