create / 2015
LA ART FEST
LA Art Fest will present work by the most innovative and interesting artists in Los Angeles. The event will be a juxtaposition of styles and cultures reflecting the true tapestry of art communities throughout Los Angeles. The event will feature music, painting, sculpture, and craft-works created by artists in the area.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- Central LA
- LA Arts District and or Chinatown (The Historic State Park and surrounding buildings.)
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Mobilize for systems change
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
- Produce second installment of LA Art Fest.
How will your proposal improve the following “Create” metrics?
- Employment in the creative industries
- Arts establishments per capita
- Concentration of manufacturing activity in LA
- Jobs per capita
- Minority- and women-owned firms
- Gini coefficient
- Measures of cultural and global economic influence (“soft power”) (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to create.
Los Angeles is filled with hundreds of cultures that stay hidden from view. Artists often represent the vanguard of a community’s curiosity and inclusion and tolerance. A painting, a sculpture, an installation, a song, a play, a dance, are seen by fellow artists as expressions from a fellow traveller. An environment where artists and their friends and neighbors congregate to see the art of fellow Angelenos is a great way to learn about and celebrate the different cultures of Los Angeles.
As a mega-city, a world class city, an international media center, a gateway city, Los Angeles is in a unique position to demonstrate new and innovative approaches for cultivating connectivity in a world with more diaspora, more urbanization, more fragmentation, more clustering . Cultivating city-wide communication and learning by and about artists and their creations, artists from LA’s various communities should help to make Angelenos more curious, interested, and knowledgable about the cultures in the City of Angels, more tolerant of their neighbors and work colleagues.
Interaction in a forum like LAARTFEST would foster better understanding of the “other” in a creative and positive, family-friendly forum.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
Attendance - Attendance will be measured by counting the number of attendees. The diversity of attendees will be measured by analyzing surnames in a database format.
Quality of presentations - Successful presentations will be measured by the number of presentations, the diversity of presentations, and the artistic merit of the presentations. A catalog of presentations will be produced for review by event producers and Los Angeles cultural affairs administrators.
Successful administration of the event will be measured by evaluating conformance with the budget, permit compliance and management of vendors and implementation of sculpture installations.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support
- Quality improvement research