learn / 2015
History Detectives 2.0
History Detectives 2.0 offers K-12 LA students a chance to discover history, art, architecture themselves. Our retro-fitted school bus/truck will simulate a working radio lab with both audio & video capabilities. Students will decide where to go and why. Teachers/adults/artists-in-residence will provide "prompts" that will then become projects.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- South LA
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Expand a pilot or a program
How will your proposal improve the following “Learn” metrics?
- Youth unemployment and underemployment
- District-wide graduation rates
- HS student proficiency in English & Language Arts and Math
- Student education pipeline (an integrated network of pre-schools, K-12 institutions, and higher education systems that prepares students for seamless transitions between high school, higher ed
- Truancy rates in elementary and middle schools (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to learn.
The “History Detectives” brigades will multiply as the idea of taking students outside of the traditional classroom explodes. The desire to experience learning; the esteem-building experience of creating and sharing what has been created can be addictive and form habits that result in self-actualization, even in children.
Our goal: to create a desire to express the need to learn.
We want each team to grow as a result of their journeys throughout LA as they discover events, people, ways of thinking that may never have made inclusion in any of their required texts/readings.
Our pilot program will introduce Lesson Plans that are intended to allow students a chance to explore political heros, of all ethnic backgrounds that contribute to the city LA has become today. An array of options will be offered, each Team on the 10-week journeys will select the adventure they will go on.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We will carefully carve out agreed upon Objectives. They may vary with individual Teams and varying Projects but will certainly include variations of:
#’s of students participating for each Project period #’s of Projects selected #’s of Projects completed #’s of LA sites visited & made a part of a developing partnership #’s of future sponsors attracted Amt of new funding acquired #’s of participating artists-in-residence
For each Objective, we will chart how our actual #’s line up with the projected numbers at the start of each Project.
The closer we come to our projections at the end of each Project, the closer we will be able to say we made our numbers.
There will be a variety of intangible measures that we can tract through word-of-mouth with the Participants, through survey’s, through observation, and through video/radio spots they create themselves–Like PSA’s for those who will come later.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support