play / 2015
Have fun exercise and spend quality time with the family in a safe and clean environment
We want to create a place that kids can play and learn all in the same environment. Parents can feel confident that their children will exercise and have fun while still keeping up with school work. Kids in a society that are stuck on technology can come and play and run around like kids used to.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- San Fernando Valley
- Adventure Playhouse 1116 San Fernando Rd. San Fernando, Ca 91340
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
- Implement and track policy
- Build a homework / tutoring center with computers for kids to use for free.
How will your proposal improve the following “Play” metrics?
- Access to open space and park facilities
- Number of children enrolled in afterschool programs
- Per capita crime rates
- Percentage of residents that feel safe in their neighborhoods
- Number (and quality) of informal spaces for play (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to play.
We have been growing our presence within the community for the last 3 years and have been implementing programs and fundraisers for supporting causes. We understand that schools are in limited supply of funds for staffing and we would like to become an alternative for kids to come and do their homework in a safe environment with helpers and computers to do research and practice any area of subjects with the Khan Academy online. Then once all subjects are completed they would be in a safe and supervised play are with jumpers, slides, obstacle courses and table games to exercise and have fun while de-stressing from a long day of school and studying. We would also like to add enrichment classes for toddlers and infants including Mommy & Me, art, and music programs to increase development while playing and developing motor skills. We would be providing more services for the community to come and feel safe and have fun while playing together For instance, providing free play times every other weekend to promote health and the importance of spending time with your children. The more the children spend with a child the better they develop both mentally and physically.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
Evaluations will be based on attendance and community involvement. With the city wide events and people signing up for information and programs we will see where we can grow and where more funds can be allocated if needed.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support