connect / 2015
downtown art walk votes
My Vote Matters! Art Walk will foster participation in the political process by encouraging participating galleries and vendors to focus on the political process in their exhibits and wares; by sponsoring debate viewing parties; by sponsoring live debates; by sponsoring a politically-themed film series; by offering special tours of politically-themed murals for families and children; and by sponsoring a My Vote Matters mural.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- Central LA
- City of Los Angeles
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Mobilize for systems change
How will your proposal improve the following “Connect” metrics?
- Rates of volunteerism
- Voting rates by race
- Attendance at cultural events
- Number of public transit riders
- Participation in neighborhood councils
- Percentage of Angelenos that volunteer informally (Dream Metric)
- Government responsiveness to residents’ needs (Dream Metric)
- Total number of local social media friends and connections (Dream Metric)
- Attendance at public/open streets gatherings (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to connect.
Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk reaches over 100,000 through its Facebook page and other social media. Over 20,000 people from all over the County of Los Angeles attend each monthly Art Walk. We intend to put the focus on civic involvement, by sponsoring viewing sites for political debates, candidates forums, politically-themed art exhibits at downtown galleries, voters registration tables and screenings of films concerning the political process. We will develop a mural tour focusing on politically-themed art. We will develop a tour for children and their families focusing on the political process and encouraging children to care about elections.
Every vote makes a difference, and we want our followers to appreciate how important their participation in the political process is. We will encourage our followers to lead their own “get out the vote” drives, and will add links to voters registration and information sites on our Facebook page and website.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We will post a reward for bringing “I Voted” stickers to the Art Walk immediately after the election. This may be an artist-designed small poster or large postcard relating to the theme of the event - My Vote Matters. We will tally the number of stickers we receive (or the number of posters we give out). We will ask each person who submits a sticker whether they have voted in an election (or mid-year election) in the past.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support