live / 2015
Dome4aHome A revolutionary idea for low-income housing
We will construct two Monolithic Dome homes to showcase the extraordinary qualities of reinforced, open-span concrete construction. We will show how by providing skills training to the unemployed we can construct permanent, high quality, low-cost housing for the homeless.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- County of Los Angeles
- City of Los Angeles
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Mobilize for systems change
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
- Implement and track policy
- Show how low cost housing can be high quality and desirable
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Healthcare access
- Exposure to air toxins
- Number of households below the self-sufficiency index
- Housing affordability
- Rates of homelessness
- Walk/bike/transit score
- Acres and miles of polluted waterways
- Rates of mental illness
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We will evaluate occupancy rates, energy usage and generally evaluate demand. We know from similar construction in different parts of the world and different States that demand is very high.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)