live / 2015
Disrupt the Desert: Reduce Poverty by Accelerating Social Innovation in South LA
We propose a social innovation accelerator where design thinking meets social justice, on its home turf, to disrupt the patterns of disinvestment that have made So. LA into a human services non-profit desert. Cross-sector teams composed of local service providers, designers, and strategists will participate in an innovative, multi-modal series of events including 3 leadership development workshops, a 2.5 day design sprint, and a 1 day symposium on how to amplify the impact of So. LA nonprofits.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- South LA
- Los Angeles SouthWest College
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Mobilize for systems change
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Access to healthy food
- Healthcare access
- Number of households below the self-sufficiency index
- Obesity rates
- Rates of homelessness
- Rates of mental illness
- Percentage of residents receiving coordinated healthcare services (Dream Metric)
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
By the success of the events and increased effectiveness of partners.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Technical infrastructure (computers, etc.)
- Community outreach