learn / 2015
Bringing sewing crochet and knitting back to schools and communities
The program gives basic art instruction with the intention of attracting students who love art but also drawing students who discover their creativity for the first time. Students gain confidence while participating in these classes, which produces well-rounded, positive students. We see students teach other students, which promotes the idea of helping others and sharing our gifts and talents.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- South Bay
- County of Los Angeles
- City of Los Angeles
- Start with schools in Torrance, then branch out neighboring cities in LA
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Conduct research
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Expand a pilot or a program
How will your proposal improve the following “Learn” metrics?
- Youth unemployment and underemployment
- District-wide graduation rates
- HS student proficiency in English & Language Arts and Math
- Academic Performance Index* scores
- Student education pipeline (an integrated network of pre-schools, K-12 institutions, and higher education systems that prepares students for seamless transitions between high school, higher ed
- Suspension and expulsion rates (Dream Metric)
- Truancy rates in elementary and middle schools (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to learn.
Yes4arts is helping Los Angeles become the best place to learn by going to schools and setting up after school programs for children and youth to provide positive learning experiences. This builds upon youth interests and supports active engagement in enrichment activities. Then, Yes4arts is targeting women’s shelters to promote psychological and emotional safety and provide job opportunities for the women with their creative products from instruction. Another goal of Yes4arts is teaching at community centers to involve the community as partners in the program and encourages children and parents to work together. In all these programs, the goal and focus is to provide opportunity and improvement in the lives of those students through learning of basic art instruction as well as more intermediate instruction.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We will evaluate our work by keeping track of the number of students we teach at schools and centers each year. Evaluation will be determined by three factors: 1) number of students taking the classes, 2) number of volunteers who help with teaching (these are prior students), and 3) number of volunteers that hear about our work through events or marketing. Furthermore, Yes4arts will return to schools & centers for feedback. We will provide surveys of how benefited from the classes as well as questions on areas of improvement in the programs offered. Finally, we will have a graduation for the students in the final class (show & tell of crafts created) for families and friends to attend. This will foster environment of encouragement and families can see the changes in the students’ lives.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support