live / 2015
Blue/Green Jobs for a Climate Resilient Los Angeles
The Water LA job training and certification program will build our city’s water-smart workforce. Local NGOs and green businesses will partner with LA Trade Tech to develop curricula and provide instructor training for low-cost courses in the design, installation, and maintenance of climate resilient residential urban acupuncture strategies. The courses will train a skilled workforce to support Angelenos in transforming their homes to capture, conserve, and reuse precious water resources.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- City of Los Angeles
- LA Trade Tech
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
- Expand a pilot or a program
- Mobilize for systems change
- Advocate with policymakers and leaders
How will your proposal improve the following “Live” metrics?
- Access to healthy food
- Exposure to air toxins
- Number of households below the self-sufficiency index
- Percent of imported water
- Acres and miles of polluted waterways
- Percentage of LA communities that are resilient (Dream Metric)
- Percentage of tree canopy cover (Dream Metric)
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We will measure our success by our ability to hit two key benchmarks by August 2016:
• Successful development of curricula for courses in the design, installation, and maintenance of key urban acupuncture strategies (site assessment, rain tanks, rain grading, native plants, greywater systems, parkway basins, infiltration trenches, permeable surfaces, and edible landscapes); • Administration of a “train the trainers” course for LA Trade Tech instructors.
Completing curriculum development and teacher training will enable LA Trade Tech to offer these courses to students in the fall of 2016.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support