connect / 2015
Ambassador Bird - L.A.s Diversity Ambassador
Ambassador Bird is the international symbol of peace -- the dove -- reimagined as a hero for children and families. The character teaches diversity and teamwork through international cultural awareness. By using the character at community events, educational programs, and through tourism marketing, Los Angeles will have a mascot that encourages people to connect with neighbors and visitors by sharing personal stories, learning about different cultures, and making friends.
In what areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
How do you plan to use these resources to make change?
- Engage residents and stakeholders
- Implement a pilot or new project
How will your proposal improve the following “Connect” metrics?
- Rates of volunteerism
- Adults getting sufficient social & emotional support
- Attendance at cultural events
- Participation in neighborhood councils
- Total number of local social media friends and connections (Dream Metric)
- Attendance at public/open streets gatherings (Dream Metric)
- Residential segregation (Dream Metric)
Describe in greater detail how you will make LA the best place to connect.
Ambassador Bird is a kawaii (“adorable” in Japanese) character that represents the best of LA – culture, diversity, fun, creativity, and love. Using the character for: 1) personal appearances encourages families to attend cultural and civic events, 2) educational programs empowers kids to participate in the life of their city, and 3) tourism marketing gives Los Angeles a friendly, diverse face. The character embodies the worldly, big city nature of L.A.
Please explain how you will evaluate your work.
We will: 1) count the number of people visiting events where the mascot appears, 2) track merchandise sales, 3) follow press mentions.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Money (financial capital)
- Volunteers/staff (human capital)
- Publicity/awareness (social capital)
- Infrastructure (building/space/vehicles, etc.)
- Community outreach
- Network/relationship support